Al-Masih ad-Dajjal is an evil figure in Islam. He is to appear pretending to be Masih (i.e. the Messiah) at a time in the future, before Yawm al-Qiyamah (Judgement Day).
Dajjal means a big deceiver, who is from the children of Adam (Peace be upon Him), who is also called as Anti-Christ; It is one of the Ten major signs in Islam before the Day of Judgment. Muslims believe that there will come a man near the end of times who will fight against Jesus (pbuh) i.e., Dajjal and finally reach the outskirts of Madina.
Prophecies about Dajjal
Prophet Muhammad has mentioned about Dajjal in many ahadith. Below are the few ahadith about Ad-Dajjal.
Dajjal is One-Eyed
Narrated by Abdullah ibn Umar(R)
Allah’s Apostleﷺ stood up amongst the people and then praised and glorified Allah as He deserved and then he mentioned Ad-Dajjal, saying, “I warn you of him, and there was no prophet but warned his followers of him; but I will tell you something about him which no prophet has told his followers: Ad-Dajjal is one-eyed whereas Allah is not.”Sahih Al Bukhari Vol :241
Narrated by Abdullah(R)
Ad-Dajjal was mentioned in the presence of the Prophetﷺ . The Prophet(S) said, “Allah is not hidden from you; He is not one-eyed,” and pointed with his hand towards his eye, adding, “While Al-Masih Ad-Dajjal is blind in the right eye and his eye looks like a protruding grape.”Sahih Al Bukhari Vol 9:504
The Prophetﷺ said, “No prophet was sent but that he warned his followers against the one-eyed liar (Ad-Dajjal). Beware! He is blind in one eye, and your Lord is not so, and there will be written between his (Ad-Dajjal’s) eyes (the word) Kafir (i.e., disbeliever).”(This Hadith is also quoted by Abu Huraira and Ibn ‘Abbas). Sahih Al Bukhari Vol 9:245
Narrated Imran ibn Husayn (R)
The Prophetﷺ said: Let him who hears of the Dajjal (Antichrist) go far from him for I swear by Allah that a man will come to him thinking he is a believer and follow him because of confused ideas roused in him by him. Abu Dawood 4305
Reward from Allah for being the Dajjal’s enemy
Narrated Hudhayfah ibn al-Yaman (R)
Then the Antichrist (Dajjal) will come forth accompanied by a river and fire. He who falls into his fire will certainly receive his reward, and have his load taken off him, but he who falls into his river will have his load retained and his reward taken off him. I then asked: What will come next? He (S) said: The Last Hour will come. Abu Dawood 4232
Protection from the Trial of the Dajjal
Allah’s Messengerﷺ said, “He who recites three ayah at the beginning of al-Kahf will be protected from the trial of the Dajjal.” Sunan Tirmidhi 3127
Narrated Anas ibn Malik (R)
Allah’s Apostle ﷺ said: The Dajjal would be followed by seventy thousand Jews of Isfahan wearing Persian shawls. Sahih Muslim 7034
Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-‘As(R)
I committed to memory a hadith from Allah’s Apostleﷺ and I did not forget it after I had heard Allah’s Apostle (S) said: The first sign (out of the signs of the appearance of the Dajjal) would be the appearance of the sun from the west, the appearance of the beast before the people in the forenoon and which of the two happens first, the second one would follow immediately after that. Sahih Muslim 7025
A lengthy hadith narrated by Ibn Majah, Ibn Khuzaimah, and ad-Dhiyaa’, attributed to Abu Umamah, reports that the Prophet of Allah (S) said:
“There will be three hard years before the Dajjal (appears). During them, people will be stricken by a great famine. In the first year, Allah will command the sky to withhold a third of its rain, and the earth to withhold a third a third of its produce. In the second year, Allah will command the sky to withhold two thirds of its rain, and the earth to withhold two thirds of its produce. In the third year, Allah will command the sky to withhold all of its rain, and it will not rain a single drop of rain. He will command the earth to withhold all of its produce, and no plant will grow. All hoofed animals will perish, except that which Allah wills.” He (sallallahu
alaihi wa sallam) was asked, ‘What sustains people during that time?’ He said, “Tahlil, takbir and tahmid (Saying, la ilaha ill Allah, Allahu Akbar and alhamdulillah). This will sustain them just as food does.” Sahih Al-Jami as-Saghir 7875
Dajjal will Perish
Narrated Abu Hurayrah(R)
Allah’s Messengerﷺ said: Dajjal will come from the eastern side with the intention of attacking Medina until he will get down behind Uhud. Then the angels will turn his face towards Syria and there he will perish. Sahih Muslim 3187
Narrated Abu Hurayrah (R)
Certainly, the time of prayer will come and then Jesus (peace be upon him), son of Mary, descend and will lead them in prayer. When the enemy of Allah see him, it will (disappear) just as salt dissolves in water and if he (Jesus) were not to confront them at all, even then it would dissolve completely. Allah would kill them by his hand and he would show them their blood on his lance (the lance of Jesus Christ). Sahih Muslim 6924
Narrated Abu Hurayrah(R)
“The Prophet ﷺ said: There is no prophet between me and him, that is, Jesus (peace_be_upon_him). He will descent (to the earth). When you see him, recognise him: a man of medium height, reddish fair, wearing two light yellow garments, looking as if drops were falling down from his head though it will not be wet. He will fight the people for the cause of Islaam. He will break the cross, kill swine, and abolish jizyah. Allaah will perish all religions except Islaam. He will destroy the Antichrist (Dajjal) and will live on the earth for forty years and then he will die. The Muslims will pray over him. Sunan Abu-Dawud, (Kitab Al-Malahim), 4310
Signs of his coming
Ahaadeeth regarding Dajjal inform us that:
* He will emerge between Shaam and Iraq, and his emergence will become known when he is in Isfahaan at a place called Yahudea.
* The Yahudis (Jews) of Isfahaan will be his main followers.
* Apart from having mainly Yahudi followers, he will have a great number of women followers as well.
* He will have with him fire and water, but in reality the fire will be cold water while that what appears to be cold water will in reality be a blazing fire. Those who obey him will enter “his Jannat” while those who disobey him will enter “his Jahannam.”
* There will be a thick fingernail-like object in his left eye.
* The letters “Kaaf” “Faa” “Raa” will appear on his forehead and will be deciphered by all Mu’mineen regardless of them being literate or not.
* He will have a wheatish complexion.
* He will travel at great speeds and his means of conveyance will be a gigantic mule.It is said that he will play beautiful music which will attract the music lovers.
* Dajjal will lay claim to be prophethood.
* He will then lay claim to Divinity.
* He will perform unusual feats.
* He will travel the entire world.
* He will send down rains upon those who believe in him, which in turn will cause good crops to grow, trees to bear fruit and cattle to grow fat.
* He will cause drought to those who disbelieve in him, resulting in starvation and hardship for them.
* During those trying times the Mu’mineen will satisfy their hunger through the recitation of Subhanallah and La’ilaha Ilallahu.
* The hidden treasures will spill forth at his command.
* He will stay on this Earth for a period of forty days; the length of the first day will be one year, the second day will be equal to one month, the third day will be equal to a week and the remaining days will be normal.
* He will be unable to enter Makkah because the Malaikah will be guarding the sacred City and nor will he be able to enter Madina because there will be Malaikah guarding each of the seven entrances to Madina; From Madina he will proceed towards Shaam where Imaam Mahdi will be stationed.
* Finally Eesa alayhis salaam will descend from the heavens and pursue him and eventually kill him at present day Lydda (Baad Lud).